Saturday, January 30, 2010

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Rounds

I know. They look rather unimpressive. This time I will not blame my camera, or my lack of photography skills. These cookies really were quite underwhelming. I had in mind when I picked up the recipe that they would have the chewy, toothy sweetness of an oatmeal cookie while incorporating some delicious peanut buttery flavor. These fell flat. Granted it may be my fault... the recipe calls for 1 cup and a quarter of flour and I may have lost count (using only my quarter cup since my full cup was eggy) and accidentally added a cup in a half. Or it may have been the fact that I used one of those "only contains peanuts" peanut butters. Perhaps the recipe assumed that my peanut butter would already be sugared and salted. Either way these cookies came out too dense in a dry peanut buttery way and I actually had to add a good amount of salt (considering it's a cookie) in order for the flavor of the peanut butter to come out. Still, the idea of a peanut butter oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips still has a hold on me. Maybe next time I will try a different recipe.

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Rounds (from The Ultimate Cookie Book)

3/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. all purpose flour
2 c. rolled oats
1 c. chopped cocktail peanuts or chocolate pieces

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
  3. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl as necessary.
  4. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined.
  5. Beat in as much flour as you can. Stir in remaining flour, oats, and peanuts.
  6. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are light brown.
  8. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

  1. These cookies are satisfying... I just ate a trio with a cup of coffee for my mid-morning snack. My only complaint is that I only had three. Since you are inclined to try a different recipe, it is my duty to eat them all post haste.

    ReplyDelete