Sunday, November 8, 2009

Gingersnap Shortbread Cookies

If you've already read my Pumpkin Kuchen post you should know that I have in my possession a copy of this year's Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Baking magazine and that I want to make pretty much everything in it. That's where the kuchen came from and it's where this recipe came from as well. Gingersnap Shortbread. Just the name brings up all kinds of warm fuzzies. It just sounds like the holidays.

This recipe was really pretty basic, simply a shortbread cookie spiced with the same stuff that goes in gingerbread. The one thing I did not expect though was the molasses. I've never put anything wet into my shortbread and even though the amount was small I was a little worried. Well I should not have been because the cookies were delightful! Crisp and spicy with thick sweet molasses flavor. The recipe below is the one I used (straight from the magazine, I halved mine though) but if I were to make them again I am sure I would use a heavier hand with the spices and maybe even add some nutmeg. I love the whole dessert spice family and I've never encountered "too much".

Gingersnap Shortbread

2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 c. butter (two sticks)
2 tbs molasses
granulated sugar (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 325.
  2. Combine flour, powdered sugar, and spices in a large bowl.
  3. Cut butter and molasses into dry mixture until it resembles fine crumbs. Knead until mixture forms a ball and divide in half.
  4. Pat each ball into an 8" circle on ungreased cookie sheets. Form decorative edge with your fingers and dust with granulated sugar if desired.
  5. Prick cookies every inch or so with the tines of a fork and slice into eight wedges, without separating them.
  6. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until bottoms just start to turn golden brown and centers are set. Recut wedges while warm.
  7. Transfer wedges to a rack to cool.

4 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to explain to you my obsession with holiday baking magazines this year. I'm embarrassed to admit just how many I've purchased. I don't, however, have the BH&G one yet so thanks for sharing this recipe. It sounds so good! Great pic too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can attest that these were delicious. I love short bread cookies, especially with a hot cup of tea. Magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these this week and loved them. Thanks for the suggestion of adding molasses to shortbread. I actually doubled the molasses (and the ginger and cinnamon) and they worked out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm... double molasses was brave and brilliant!

    ReplyDelete